If you are from Himachal Pardesh (H.P) then you know the taste of Rajma Madra 🙂 .
As,I belong to this beautiful and peaceful state “Land of Gods” ,I have enjoyed the cuisines here at the larger Scale. Himachali food varies from region to region which includes Rajmah Madra,Channa Madra,Siddu,etc.No festivities of Himachal are considered complete without Dham(Reception).Rajmah Madra is one of the most loved dish in any Occasion.
The most talented “Bottis”(Cook) can make wonders to the Rajmah that will last long in your mouth with wonderful Aroma.I learned the same dish from Botti.
Rajmah Madra can be prepared by using Rajma, cooked in yoghurt gravy along with desi ghee and few spices(As per your taste).
Step to Prepare Himachali Rajma Madra Recipe
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cooking Time: 40-50 mins
- Serving: 2 – 4 people
Ingredients for Rajma Madra
|Rajma/ Kidney beans||250 gram|
|Fresh yoghurt/Curd(Dahi)||1.5 kg|
|Turmeric powder||2/3 teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||2 teaspoon|
|Dalchini powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Red chilly powder (optional)||1/2 teaspoon|
- Wash and soak the Rajma overnight. Take the soaked Rajma with 1 cup water into pressure cooker and add salt. Drain, keep aside, reserve the cooking liquid too. Whisk the yoghurt till its smooth and mix in the rice flour/paste.
- Take a heavy bottomed kadai. Heat 3 tbsp ghee, adding the whole spices except jeera. Once the spices puff up, add jeera and let it crackle followed by hing. Now take the vessel off the flame, add turmeric powder and youghurt.
- Mix gently and return the vessel to the flame. Keep stirring the yoghurt continuously, let it boil. Continue stirring it on a low to medium flame, once it starts thickening it will stick to the bottom and sides, scrape it off and add it back.
- Keep cooking the yoghurt till it starts browning, add some water so it does not burn while frying this will take about 20-30 mins.
- Add methi powder, saunf powder and red chilli powder. Mix well, add the cooked rajma and some water. Adjust salt, cook till it’s of desired consistency on a low flame. Sprinkle garam masala and a pinch of red chilli powder (optional). Cover the pan and cook on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Now server this with Rice and enjoy.